Summer weather is here…..finally! With summer weather comes a barrage of local festivals and community events with food vendors and food trucks offering delicious street foods a plenty. Unfortunately, these venues are typically exempt from the new menu labelling legislation, so most likely you will not see calories listed on the menu boards to help inform your selections. Only food service establishments with 20 or more locations across Ontario are required to post calories on their menus.
So how can you make healthier choices when there is no menu labelling? Here are some tips to help you to eat healthier while enjoying the summer festival scene:
- Try not to drink your calories – avoid the mega-sized, sugary drinks (both hot and cold varieties). Instead, drink lots of water in the heat!
- Choose grilled or sautéed instead of deep-fried, whenever possible.
- Ask for sauces and gravy on the side – that way you can control how much you eat.
- Think ahead and try to eat at home prior to going, that way you won’t over-eat at the event.
- Share the often jumbo-sized food purchases with friends or family – that way you can still enjoy, but not feel like you need to finish the whole dish yourself.
- Choose a healthier side dish and avoid the fries – select salads, grilled veggies and fresh fruits more often.